Saturday, November 17, 2012

The road to spoiled...


Where is the line that leads to spoiled?

When I think about raising kids I want nothing more then to raise a child who is confident, respectful, and obedient.  What I don't want is to raise an entitlement child, you know, the ones who think you owe them everything and are suppose to do whatever THEY want.  I have always been a firm believer that it starts when they are young but now that I have the "young" child I begin to question where is that starting point leading to spoiled?  

Is the starting point when you allow your toddler to ride a small bicycle through the Goodwill store?  I could lie and say I let her ride it because it wouldn't fit in the buggy, but I really let her do it because it made her so happy and had I not let her ride it she probably would have thrown a fit. Or was the line when I said she could have the bike in the first place since she already had a bike, but I rationalized she needed a bike at her Grammy's house too.  Had the bike not been only $10, I probably would have simply told her no and eventually just left the store without looking around, but it was only 2 McDonald's trips (yes, I judge costs based on how many times I cannot go to McDonald's in order to pay for it).

Is the starting point when you bring toys to restaurants with you to keep toddlers entertained so they don't run around causing trouble?  At what point do you stop letting them bring toys?  At what point do you expect them to sit and behave on their own?  Are you suppose to even bring toys because then they expect to always bring toys?

Is the starting point when you plan your day doing everything your child wants to do so they are always entertained?

Where is the line?  This is always my problem, I over think every decision I make and get it in my head that I have just set myself up for failure when it comes to raising my daughter.  I know that she is still very young and her having fun is about the only thing she really understands right now.  I know I cant expect her to sit and entertain herself all day long and NOT get into things she is suppose to leave alone but I cant seem to turn the worry off.  

No comments:

Post a Comment