Friday, November 16, 2012

When creepy guys follow you...


Wednesday night after class I stopped by Kroger on my way home to pick up some oatmeal since Colleen ran out and would go crazy if she didn't have it in the morning to eat.  It was around 9:15 by the time I got out of the store and as I walked to my car I noticed a guy sitting in his car and when I passed the car again after pushing my buggy back to the front of the store he started his car, which the sound made me jump a little.  I figured he was waiting for someone and saw them walk out of the store so I got in my car and started to leave.  I then noticed the other car pull out without anyone else getting in.  I left the parking lot and got into the turning lane at the light, as did the creepy guy.  I made my turn and there was nobody else in the lane so the creepy guy was able to turn as well, but rather then accelerate normally the car crept very slowly as if they were purposely putting distance between us.  I got to the next light and turned as did the other car and officially got weirded out.

Could it have been a coincidence that we were going the same way?  Absolutely, however, the way he was sitting in the car and the position the car was in (far end of the parking lot with view of the entire area) and how he seemed to wait for me to put my groceries in the car, put my buggy up and get in the car before he decided to leave the store seemed a little to fishy to me.

I was going to continue to drive home, giving the guy the benefit of the doubt that it was a coincidence but I had the overwhelming urge to call Mark and just tell him and expected him to laugh a little at my craziness, however the reaction I got was much different.  "Hang up the phone and call 911, stay on the phone until they pull the guy over and do not come home!"

During his instructions I notice the creepy guy u-turn in a place a normal person would not turn around at this late at night.  I figured if he was following me he saw my phone light up and got scared off (or I really was thinking too much into it).  Nevertheless it never occurred to me NOT to go home.  As Mark put it, even if he didn't pounce that night, the guy would know where I lived and could attack at any time when his truck was not there.  That thought actually scared me...I could have very well lead the creepy guy to my house and gave him open access to me and Colleen.

So, if you ever think some creepy guy is following you take the following actions (as given by my wonderful husband who also happens to be a cop and instructor for things like this)...

- Do not go home.
- Stay in well populated, lit areas
- Do not stop or get out of the car
- Call 911 and stay on phone with them, giving area updates until a cop makes it to you and pulls the creepy guy over.

Even if the creepy guy wasn't creepy after all and I read too much into it, this experience has opened my eyes to what could have been and now know what to do if the situation ever arises again.

No comments:

Post a Comment