Monday, March 22, 2010

Fear of single parenthood

Nineteen days ago I told my husband he was going to be a father, and today I came too close to becoming a single mom; not because we fought and threatened to split, but because he could have been killed in the line of duty. Today there was a chase which ended in a shootout between the police (my husband included) and a guy that decided to take the law into his own hands. God was watching out for the officers and none of them were hurt however it could have just as easily been me getting the phone call instead of the other guys family letting me know that my husband was the one dead.

I got the call at 4:30 from my husband letting me know he was ok and I accepted that – not really thinking about what really happened. It didn’t hit me until I got a phone call from one of Mark’s friends asking me if he was ok. I checked facebook and saw panicked messages to Mark asking if he was ok and it hit me…he could have been shot or killed. Why had I not realized this before? I knew there were dangers of being an officer’s wife but until now I hadn’t really given much thought into exactly HOW dangerous it was. I could not handle losing him – his children (both living and unborn) need their father.

Here it is now almost 10:00 and he still hasn’t made it home, although I have spoke with him briefly it is still not as satisfying as holding him, making sure he does not have a scratch on him and when I see for myself that he is ok I will beat him for scaring me like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment