Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Colleen's Birth Story - Grammy's POV

The day my baby became a mother.
November 8th just before lunch I had just sent Tara to run some errands for me while I watched the boys and Tanya called and said that she thought she was in labor, as a mom I asked her questions to see how far along the labor was, decided it would be best to have her with me and since Tara was in town she went over to get her. After a little while Tanya called the midwives to see if they wanted her to come in and be checked, which they did. So off went Tara and Tanya with directions to call me if it was time. The call came but it was to tell me that she wasn’t far enough to stay, so they were going to the mall for something to eat and walk. After a short stay at the mall they went back to the midwife center where it still wasn’t time so home they came.

The contractions got more painful and closer together. Mark arrived and off they went once again to the midwife center and the rest of us followed, Tanya thought that I drove fast, I think Mark broke speed records, since they got there and Nancy had checked her by the time we got there.

It’s hard to watch your child in pain and you know there is nothing you can do to help but just try to keep her comfortable. Tanya walked and walked and got in the tub, while in the tub she was texting her friends, keeping everyone informed on what was going on. Gabby, Tanya’s best friend and part of the family, was at work and was to get off at 1:00 a.m. Tanya talked to her and told her she didn’t think that Colleen was going to wait for her to get there, so Gabby left work and arrived around 10:00 p.m. and she helped Tanya swing her hips as they walked and walked around the building, trying to get Colleen in position. Then Tanya wanted to get back in the tub, contractions were getting to the point of unbearable and it was time to start pushing. Tanya couldn’t push hard enough, so Nancy suggested that someone get in the tub with her, well before anyone could volunteer, Gabby had her clothes off and was in the tub, I have never seen anyone get undressed so fast. After a short stay in the tub things weren’t moving along so it was decided to get out and on the bed. Mark had one leg and I had the other and Tanya pushed for hours. Colleen’s little head would crown and as soon as she stopped pushing she went back out of sight. Finally, I know my baby was tired and just wanted to get her out, with the last bit of strength she had she pushed and oh my Colleen came flying out and landed on the bed. After Nancy started checking her out and gave her a little oxygen and she was in her mommy’s arms. Tara said did anyone look at the time that Colleen was born, that’s when it was called 1:54 a.m. on November 9th 2010.

Of course everyone in the room was crying and her dad who had been in one of the other rooms finally came in to see our newest grandbaby. She was so small and beautiful, with all her fingers and toes.

I am and always will be so proud of what a great mom Tanya has become.

No comments:

Post a Comment