Monday, February 13, 2012

Bullies

Is it natural to pick on others or is it something that is taught? I wish I knew what goes through a bully’s head just as I know what it is like for the bullied. I know what it is like to walk with my eyes on the floor, hoping nobody would notice me so they wouldn’t have any reason to tease me that day. I know what it is like to think that nobody likes me – I know how small and unimportant one feels when this is happening. I am thankful that I know how this feels because it has opened my eyes to think outside of what is in front of me. I’m thankful that I can use my experiences to look deeper into a situation and not rush to judgment – but how do you use that to help others?

Are bullies just spoiled kids craving attention? Do their parents go through the motions of providing a roof but no guidance? I wish I knew – I wish I knew so I could help them. Are these kids written off as incapable of being helped – a worthless cause? I surely hope not – I hope that someone will step up and show them the right way to treat others. I wish people would get the idea that “kids will be kids” out of their heads and wake up – you can’t just write everything off as kids being kids – you have to teach them right from wrong – you have to teach by example – you have to take responsibility for their actions and do something about it.

I don’t know a single rational parent who doesn’t want their children to succeed so I don’t understand how there are so many bullies today. Is it that nobody has told them that their little angel that they tuck in every night and give butterfly kisses to is lying to them or are they the parents that do not utter a single nice word to their child and don’t take the time to see the preciousness in them? I don’t understand how a parent can allow their children to bring harm to others just as I don’t understand how adults can do the same thing to their peers.

Parents – you need to look at what you are teaching your kids. Are you teaching them to be kind to others or hate others? Are you teaching them how to handle situations gracefully or ruthlessly? Sure – we are not perfect – we are not always going to do things the right way – but which way is the norm and are you happy with that? If not – it’s time to change and break the cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment