Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The beginning of my love story...

So the last few months I got hooked on the Bachelorette, which is completely unlike me to watch that type of show, but I found myself watching it none the less. Each week I would get swept into the romance of each relationship and each week I grumbled about not being able to go places like they did. Last night during the proposals I watched as two men proposed to the same girl then it clicked – I may have not had this big elaborate proposal or these fancy dates but I had someone who loved me enough to get down on his one knee and ask me to marry him in front of my friends and family. At that moment I didn’t care about being on a beach in Fiji or that I wasn’t wearing a nice fancy dress. All I cared about was the man in front of me, a man that I loved who loved me in return, who was taking that leap of faith with me, asking me to spend the rest of our lives together. I didn’t have a fancy response to give him back, I was actually very short with my “uh huh”, but it was enough to start the first chapter of our love story…

My love story has been somewhat of an unconventional one – as many know there is quite a large age gap between my husband and I, he also has a son from a previous relationship. So when we married in 2009 I not only gained a lifelong partner, I also gained a very loving step-son; instant family right? Although I was happy with the child that life blessed me with to help care for, I longed for a child of my own; one that I didn’t have to share with anyone other than my husband; one that I didn’t have to keep a small barrier up with because I’m not “mom” and there are some things that I just don’t have the right to do. After several months of disappointment of no baby we got our positive results in early March 2010. My little girl was born in November and my life felt complete. I had my husband, a son, and now a daughter to round off the family dynamics. My family has brought me so much joy that I could only begin to attempt to put into words but I will try as I continue to write my love story...

No comments:

Post a Comment